Wills, Probate & Trusts

The work of this department is divided into two parts: non-contentious and contentious.


The non-contentious part involves advice and assistance to clients in planning the use and disposal of their personal and family assets. The services we provide seek to ensure that the assets of clients could be best protected and used in a way that accords with their intention and properly provide for the welfare of those entitled to the assets. Services provided include:

  • advice on inheritance, bankruptcy and family laws and procedures;
  • drafting wills, will trusts;
  • drafting trust deeds and related documents such as letters of wishes, deeds of assignments;
  • assist in setting up trusts for various purposes, such as assets protection, succession planning, charity, religion, disability protection etc; and
  • application for grant of administration or probate or re-sealing of overseas grant, and distribution of assets thereafter.

On the contentious side, we handle matters such as:

  • making/defending application for dependant persons, children or widows under the Inheritance (Provisions for Family and Dependants) Ordinance;
  • challenging/defending validity of wills, or their interpretation;
  • claiming/defending entitlements of illegitimate children, concubines and unmarried couples; and
  • aking/defending actions for improper administration of estate or trust assets by executors, administrators or trustees.

If you would like to know more about our wills, probate & trust practice or how we can help your business, please contact us at (852) 2810 1212 or at

Please refer to our articles in ‘Knowledge’

Recommended Posts

How to Handle the Hong Kong Assets of a Deceased Person Domiciled Overseas?
Many people (local or foreigners) possess various kinds of properties in Hong Kong. When they pass away, the Executor or Administrator of the Deceased’s estate will have to handle the Deceased’s assets (e.g. shares, real properties and bank accounts) in Hong Kong in accordance with the laws of Hong Kong.
Challenging a Will: The Inheritance (Provision for Family and Dependants) Ordinance
Where a deceased has by his Will, or by the effects of intestacy, failed to provide properly for his spouse, children, relatives or dependants, the court may order reasonable provision to be made out of the deceased’s net estate for the maintenance of them. Everyone enjoys a “testamentary freedom”, i.e. freedom to leave your property to whomever you wish in your Will. However, after a loved one has passed away, very often we see disappointment among those who feel that they were unfairly disinherited by the Will, or that their inheritance is less than what were originally expected. This leaves considerable stress and distress within the family circle. The Wills in high-money cases like Nina Wang Kung Yu-sum’s are of course prone to challenge. Poor estate planning may also expose a Will to attack. Since people are now generally living longer and often decide to change their Wills later in life without the assistance of a solicitor, family members may be omitted in the Wills. In addition, it is not uncommon for a Hong Kong man to have a “second wife”, who may lose dependency upon the death of the man in the absence of a Will in her favour. More often, a testator may fail to execute another Will upon remarriage, depriving the former spouse and children of reasonable provision. In these cases, the distressed family members or dependants may be left with no option but to challenge the Wills or make a claim in the estates.
Will trust asset form part of “financial resources” under the Matrimonial Proceedings and Property Ordinance?
Under section 4(1) of the Matrimonial Proceedings and Property Ordinance (Chapter 192 of the Laws of Hong Kong), the court may, on grating a decree of divorce or at any time thereafter, make a number of orders including an order that either party to the marriage shall make to the other such periodical payments and for such term as may be ordered by the court. In deciding whether to make such order, the court is imposed with the duty under section 7 of the Ordinance to take into account, among other things, the income, earning capacity, property and other financial resources which each of the parties to the marriage has or is likely to have in the foreseeable future. Among the disputes that often arise as to what kind of assets would form part of the Financial Resources of the parties to the marriage, the court is often tasked with determining whether assets subject to discretionary trust (and often family trust) shall be regarded as part of the Financial Resources. The general principles governing such issue are laid down in the judgement by the Court of Final Appeal in Kan Lai Kwan v Poon Lok To Otto [2014] HKCFA 66.
Back to top