The work of this department is divided into two parts: non-contentious and contentious.
The non-contentious part involves advice and assistance to clients in planning the disposal of their personal assets. The services we provide will ensure that the assets of clients could be used in a way that best accords with their intention and properly provide for the welfare of those entitled to the assets. Services provided include:-
- advice on inheritance law and procedures
- drafting wills
- application for grant of probate and distribution of assets thereafter
We also handle contentious probate matters including:-
- making/defending application for dependant persons, children or widows under the Inheritance (Provisions for Family and Dependants) Ordinance
- challenging/defending validity of wills
- claiming/defending entitlements of illegitimate children and concubines
- taking/defending actions for improper administration of estate
Please refer to our articles in 'Publications'